Feel less anxious but healthier & happier within 30 days!
Get FREE tools to increase your personal wellbeing:
You're looking for an easy and healthy pumpkin soup, that additionally is completely plant-based? Let me introduce you to one of my absolute favorite vegetable soups:
The anti-cold and anti-inflammatory creamy Butternut Squash Carrot Coconut Soup
I love this pumpkin soup! Apart from being completely plant-based, it's healthy and so so yummy! Every time I feel I'm about to get a cold, I eat this soup and don't get sick. I swear, it's magic 🙂 or more precisely the ginger, garlic, turmeric and black pepper in the soup are working their magic.
Also, this butternut squash carrot coconut soup is fairly easy to make. You only need a little bit of time. It takes about 45 to 60 minutes until it's ready to eat.
If there's no butternut squash available, you can use any other kind of pumpkin for the soup. Depending on its consistence, you might have to cook it a bit longer. I personally prefer the butternut squash, because it's easier for me to peel and cut into pieces than e.g. a Hokkaido pumpkin.
This soup is perfect as a starter, if you have friends or family over, or – what I usually do – for eating snuggled up on the couch. Sometimes, pumpkin recipes get associated with fall or wintertime, but I like to eat soup, especially this delicious creamy one, all year around.
So I really hope you enjoy it as much as I do 🙂
- 3 carrots
- 1 butternut squash about 800 g when peeled and seeds are removed
- 500 ml canned coconut milk Full fat
- 500 ml vegetable broth to be prepared beforehand (I use bouillon cubes for that)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 shallot
- 1 piece of ginger around the size of a thumb
- 1.5 teaspoons tumeric powder
- 1.5 teaspoons cinnamon
- A pinch of crushed black pepper to season
- Fresh coriander as decoration
- Edible flowers as decoration
- Peel the carrots and the butternut squash and slice them into even bite-sized pieces
- Heat up the coconut oil in a large cooking pot on medium heat. Peel and slice the shallots and the garlic, then sauté them for 2 minutes. They should sizzle a bit.
- Peel the ginger and cut it into thin slices. Add the ginger slices to the pot and sauté lightly for 2 minutes.
- Add the turmeric and cinnamon powder and stir until dissolved in the oil.
- Fill the pot now with the coconut milk and the vegetable broth. Stir lightly until all ingredients mix. Add the carrot and butternut squash pieces.
- Cover the pot and let the soup cook for 30 to 40 minutes on a low simmer. Stir occasionally.
- Once the vegetables are soft, use a hand blender to blend everything until the soup is smooth and creamy and has an orangey color. Alternatively, you can also use a food processor to blend everything until smooth and creamy; return the soup to the pot afterwards to keep it hot.
- Season with crushed black pepper.
- Serving time! Sprinkle a bit of coconut milk on top and add coriander and edible flowers as decoration.
Voilà! Enjoy 🙂
Interested in other plant-based recipes? You'll find a whole bunch here.