Did you know there’s an International Self-Care Day? It happens every year on the 24th of July to symbolize that self-care is a 24/7 thing 🙂
Only when we treat ourselves with dignity and respect first, we can extend the same to others. Only when we accept and love ourselves the way we are, we can access our full potential.
We are enough. We are worthy. Let’s treat ourselves this way.
Take some time for yourself each day. Maybe it’s 10 minutes, maybe you can even spare an hour. This is your “Me-Time”, where you’re alone and cannot be disturbed (yes, turn off your mobile phone).
During this time, do something for yourself, something that you like and makes you happy.
13 of My Go-To Self-Care Routines:
- Read whatever you like, be it books or magazines.
- Take an indulgent bubble bath, maybe even light some candles?
- Pamper yourself, how about a face mask or a good body scrub?
- Take a nap.
- Try that recipe you wanted to for ages.
- Relax while listening to music and have a homemade ginger-lemon tea.
- Work out and have some sweaty fun at the gym.
- Practice your yoga routine.
- Go for a run.
- Take a walk outside and enjoy being close to nature.
- Write about anything you like, e.g.
- start a gratitude journal to have an ever growing list of all the (even tiny) things you’re thankful for.
- start a compliment list and write down all the things others have praised you for.
- start a happy memories journal and collect events, situations and moments there, where you felt truly happy.
- start a self-love list and write down the things you like (or even love) about yourself; can be a physical attribute, a skill, a personal trait.
- Binge watch your favorite series and get to know your couch a little better.
And if you really only have 2 minutes of time, find a quiet spot and BREATHE. Have this little moment of doing nothing.
Self-care, self-compassion & self-love are the keys to our long-lasting wellbeing and to leading a healthy & mindful lifestyle.
Be nice to yourself, you deserve it – and then be nice to others (even the not-so-nice people) – I promise, you’ll feel a-ma-zing 🙂
Weekly Nuggets of Wisdom
Here’s my list full of inspiration to read, listen to, watch and do about “Self-Care” – enjoy!
A poem about Self-Love by Charlie Chaplin. Many people know Charlie Chaplin only as a comedian but he was so much more than that.
My favorite speech of him is the scene from “The Great Dictator” in which he speaks about our connectedness as human beings, inherent rights on the planet, and how we have lost our way because of greed.
This poem shows his unique and perceptive understanding on self-love.
Try a little tenderness by Otis Redding. Perfect song to listen to while dancing through your living room or chilling on the couch while watching the birds flying by your window.
Yaaaaasss I’m a total QueerEye Addict and although I love them all, I’m definitely obsessed with JVN aka Jonathan van Ness. So here’s to a short self-care moment by the Fab 5 self-care expert!
I did this at least once a week when I was living in Germany. I bought myself beautiful flowers, usually dusky pink roses, at my favorite flower shop.
This was one of the things I did there to be nice to myself. I haven’t found a suitable substitute flower shop yet in Dubai.
Next time you walk by a bunch of pretty flowers, go get them for your apartment, it’ll brighten up your days 🙂 Yes, please send me pictures, I’d love to see that!
What’s your self-care routine? Let me know what you do for yourself on a regular basis by either commenting below or sending me an e-mail 🙂